Detroit Institute of Arts

I met two girlfriends in the "D" last weekend for brunch and then two of us went on to the DIA new exhibit, Diego Rivera and Frido Kahlo in Detroit.  I had been looking forward to the exhibit since I did not know much about either of them.  I have always been fascinated by the mural in the DIA.  

The exhibit is broken into three parts: pre, during and post Detroit.  We are introduced into the inspirations for their art.  Rivera was inspired by traditional Mexico and the plight of the working class.  Kahlo had been in an accident in her late teens -- this accident inspired all her work going forward as she believed the miscarriage she had in Detroit was caused by the earlier accident.

One of the best parts of the exhibit was a deep dive into the Detroit Industry painting.  They highlighted the development of the art and the reasons behind the different panels within the art work.  I look at the art with new eyes now.  There were pieces of the mural that I had never noticed before and I am sure that will continue going forward.  

Entering their time in Detroit, he was the larger star, but after Detroit, her career took off and she became the Kahlo that others know.

Definitely a must visit -- just such a crucial piece of their lives documented.  I would avoid Saturday at 1 pm though when we went; definitely a crowd!

Times visited: 7
Times in museum: 1.5 hrs
Overall: A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library