Kunsthistoriches Museum Wien

Our first museum visit of this trip was the Kunsthistoriches Museum Wien.  I may not sure we (the world) are insistent on renaming countries or cities.  Wien is what the local Viennese call their city.  This is their main museum.  It is across from an identical building, which houses their natural history museum.  


The entrance to the museum is beautiful.  As you come up the main staircase, it is hard to know where to look.  There is a beautiful statue and the murals on the ceiling are beautiful.  Klimt did the murals.  It is gorgeous.  

I had a quick check-list of paintings we wanted to find.  They were all over the board in terms of era that they represented.  I liked the Pieter Bruegel the Elder paintings.  They were a lot lighter than I expected.  Unfortunately, the Rubens was on loan elsewhere.  I was disappointed that no where did they note that the painting was on loan.  My husband and I finally asked where it was.  The museum did an interesting job presenting the materials.  I like the large signage within the room (that stood alone).  I did not love how crowded some of the rooms were.  Literally the Vermeer was in the corner. 

This museum also had a few other interesting exhibits of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities. 

Times visited: 1
Time in museum: 2 hrs
Overall: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

Morgan Library

lower east side tenement museum