Pachacamac

Over Labor Day, I headed to Lima, Peru to visit my sister, her husband, my nephew and my niece.  My niece and nephew had the day off school, so we headed south of the city to check out Pachacamac.  It was about an hour south of the city although we hit traffic so it usually would be a little shorter.  The site is just off the Pacific Ocean.    

The site is named after the "earth god" Pacha Makaq, which is a god we heard a lot about when we were in the Sacred Valley.  It was started before the Incan period, but they continued to operate throughout the Incan empire.  It continued as both a temple and an administrative center.   

The ruins were first discovered in the 1890s.  

The museum was re-done about three years ago.  Excellently, I might add.  

We headed out to the ruins first, but I think you might want to check out the museum first.  I may also feel like that because our tour guide spoke Spanish and while I understood some of it, I am sure I did not catch it all.  The guide was great with Tula and Tomas and she definitely kept things moving.  

The site is HUGE.  You drive up to the museum -- we ended up then driving around the grounds, getting out of the car and walking around the Temple of the Sun.  As with most other ruins, the sun god had the most prominent template at the very top of the hill.  

The terraces on this were beautiful.  They used this for sources of water



The east side of the temple is better preserved than the other sides as it did not face the ocean.  

Look at us after the walk around the temple.  The kids did really well.


We then headed to the museum.  It was wonderful.  It was so well done and edited.  It was a mix of displayed objects and multi-media.  It had a video about the origin of the temple.  Most of the captions were in English and Spanish.  


Double bird pot - one of the best example I have seen


I am so happy we went.  Christy needs to go back!  


Times visited: 1
Time on site: 2 hr
Overall: A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library