Cincinnati Art Museum

Okay, so going to quickly skip over our trip to New Orleans to wrap up my Cincinnati blog posts!

I headed to the Cincinnati Art Museum by myself on Friday to participate in the Cinco de Mayo Frida celebration.  While I would give the Frida celebration mixed reviews, I really did enjoy the opportunity to walk through the special exhibit, Tiffany Glass: Painting with Light and Color.  

It is a special exhibit that was created by the The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass in New York City -- basically a private collection by the Neustadt family.  It appears that they also curate exhibits, which are loaned out to create awareness and interest in Tiffany glass.  The exhibit was a very manageable size -- about three main rooms.    


I loved that the also had an guide available.  Bring your own headphones, use the museum wifi and watch the youtube videos that have been created to go with the exhibit.  As a preview, the videos are available here.



I learned so much about the glass:

  • Characteristics of the glass and the library -- The Neudstadts spent a large sum of money to purchase all the remaining glass from the workshop.  They have been using the library to validate if a lamp or wall are truly Tiffany.
  • How it was made
  • The Tiffany workshop and artists behind the different lamps and walls
  • And probably most importantly (or interestingly?), how to determine forgeries
The Frida event was a bit of a mixed bag.  I loved the opera performance and the whole idea of the event.  Unfortunately, the food situation left much to be desired.  The queue was so long and then once you got up there, you had to wait for your food (even just guac and chips).  I suppose that would be fine if you were there with people, but I was alone and the food was away from the performances.  I was also a little surprised with the pricing; I could get a braised pork taco for $3 or gauc and chips for $4.  


Times visited: 3
Time in museum: 1.5 hr
Overall: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library