Hiroshima Castle

After visiting the Peace Park, we headed over to Hiroshima Castle grounds.  

The castle grounds are free to get into.  There is the main castle (which does have an admission price), the Gokoku shrine, and a basic museum of the history of the castle.  

We first went into the museum first.  It told us how the museum had been restored.  Jason loved learning about the joists and how the museum was built.  He had a hard time believing how few nails the Japanese used in historic construction.  The museum also had a number of bento boxes on display.  The bento boxes are so fun.  



Second, we headed to the Gokoku shrine.  My boss had highly recommended that I get a red seal book while I was in Japan as a souvenir.  I bought my book and got my first seal at the Gokoku shrine!   My book is blue with koi on it!



After the shrine, we headed up to the castle!


The museum was about five stories and visitors work their way up to the top floor.  The first couple floors were nicely translated in English and Japanese.  I really enjoyed a video on the first floor of the history of Hiroshima.  They had an area for kids to dress up in traditional samurai garb and female formal attire.  The top of the museum is the best view of Hiroshima.  I love that castles are surrounded by beautiful lands.  This one in particular even had a moat!




Just a note...the bathrooms left a little bit to be desired.   

Time on castle grounds: 1.5 hrs
Times visited: 1
Overall: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library