El Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza

My mom and I arrived in Madrid on Tuesday evening and first thing on Wednesday, we headed to el Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza.  It was across the street!

This museum reminded me quite a bit of the Musee d'Orsay (for Spain) meets the Frick (since it was/is a private collection).  The collection is very nicely curated and progresses chronologically through their collection.  They have seven paintings from the list.  I really enjoyed their late 1800/ early 1900 century art collection -- they had some really fantastic Edward Hopper paintings.   That being said, they have some fantastic renaissance art as well.  The El Greco painting, The Annunciation was the beginning of our love fest with his art while in Madrid (see Prado, Church of Santo Tome, Museo del Greco).  

My mother was thrilled that they had a Wyeth exhibit.  It was a exhibit about both father and son, "Wyeth: Andrew and Jamie in the studio."  My mother was surprised that they really did not feature the grandfather, who was an artist in his own right.  I recognized some of the art, but really did not know much about the Wyeth family prior to the exhibit.  By the end, I could identify the artist for each painting.  It was interesting to see how Jamie was influenced by his father and his father's art.  

I really appreciated the galleries with masterpieces from the Countess Thyssen-Bornemisza's collection.  It is so rare to see a collection curated by a woman.  It is hard to believe that the rooms only show about 20% of her collection.  Her art seemed very "live-able."  I really enjoyed it.

I do not feel like this post is doing it justice, but I really enjoyed the museum.  It was truly wonderful and a great introduction to Madrid's museums!

Time in Museum: 3 hrs
Times visited: 1
Overall: A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library