Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

On the way back from the Kronberg bike ride, I knew we had to go to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art.  They are open late and serve dinner with a view overlooking the Baltic Sea.  

The museum is under construction, but it is still pretty easy to get around.  We had a few times where we thought we would miss something, but lo and behold, we ended up seeing it everything.  

My favorite part of this museum was the integration of inside and outside.  We seamlessly moved from the landscape to the galleries.  All of the glass keeps the museum feeling light and impacts how the art is viewed.

Calder mobile

The Picasso before Picasso exhibit was really interesting.  I had always heard that Picasso was an extremely talented realist painter, and that is what allowed him to break all the rules.  It also allowed him to evolve as a painter (e.g. his Blue period to the rose period to cubism.  If you were looking at these sketches without knowing the artist, I would have never known they were his.  

The Poul Gernes exhibit was interesting too.  I had never heard of this Danish artist before.  We saw his exhibit near the end of our visit and I found the bright colors and mixed mediums a nice variety.  I also enjoyed some of his practical applications (e.g.  the hospital design).  



Some of my other favorites:



Such a unique museum.  I can see why it is a favorite in Copenhagen and larger Denmark.  The architecture and views alone are reasons to stop at this museum; let alone seeing its growing collection of modern art!

Time in museum: 3.5 hrs
Times visited: 1
Overall: A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

Morgan Library

lower east side tenement museum