Heidelberg Castle

While I was in Frankfurt recently for business, my mother and I headed to Heidelberg for a day trip.  We really wanted to see the Heidelberg castle and ruins, which are at the top of the historic town.  

We got in and quickly bought the Heidelberg card for the day -- in actuality, we should have just paid for everything a la carte, as it was a Sunday and most sights had very limited hours.  

We took the bus to the funicular, which took us to the castle entrance.  We rode the funicular up to the viewing area too.  We were supposed to have access to one more level, but unfortunately, it turns out that funicular was closed.  It was just starting to rain when we arrived, but I did get some nice pictures!


Once the rain let up ever so slightly, we made a run for the pharmacy museum.  The Heidelberg Museum was gifted with a rather large collection.  It is a bit random, but it was well done.  I think it was ALSO probably the most visitors it had received in a while -- all hiding out from the rain.  

In a mild rain break, we did also take in the view from the "front" of the ruins.  I can only imagine how beautiful it would have been on a nice day!



I wished we could have gotten closer to some of the lower ruins near the moat, but they were beautiful from above as well.


Overall, a great visit.  I wish we had a bit more guidance looking at the ruins.  I keep feeling like we missed a key area!

Time on grounds: 3 hrs
Times visited: 1
Overall: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library