Museo del Greco

My mom and I also headed over to the El Greco Museum.  It was purportedly his house, but that has been de-bunked in recent years.  That being said, it is still in a house that would be similar to what he would have lived in and how it would have been furnished.

The house is just around the corner from the Church.  It was actually free to go into on Sundays, so my mom and I took advantage of that.

The house is a good sized.  To start with, take advantage of looking at the cellars.  It has some old views of the ruins below the city.  


My favorite part of the museum was actually a part about El Greco's apprentices.  They discussed his workshop and a number of his apprentice's art.  The descriptions of the apprentice work was astounding (and quite painful to read).  To paraphrase one: I cannot believe we ever though this was El Greco's work -- the lines are so unsure and tentative and seeped in mediocrity.  


The gardens are also spectacular.  I loved the multi-terraces and using planters to hold plants that traditionally in the US would be in beds.



Time in museum: 30 minutes
Times visited: 1
Overall: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library