Edo Tokyo Museum

After the shrine, I walked to the Edo Tokyo Museum.  

I had contemplated getting a cab, but unfortunately due to the rain, I could not find one.  I was soaked by the time I arrived...and cold (as you can see with the fogged up glasses).  




I start with this as a preamble because I am very sure this impacted my view of this museum.  

This museum focuses on the history of Tokyo; it started with when Tokyo was known as Edo.  It has been the third capital of Japan and has held that role since 1603.  

You start at the top of the museum and work your way down.  The museum is fantastic for children as it is quite hand's on and full of interactive displays.  It starts out with large scale replicas of different buildings from different periods within Tokyo.  One was a theater, Nakamuraza.  Inside the theater, you could see a replica of a play with life-sized actors.  

They also have a number of smaller scale models.  The level of detail is remarkable.  They have small magnifying scopes so that you can see the true level of detail.  They have hundreds of little people in them.  

Now, after these, you head downstairs.  I will admit that I really do not remember much of the rest of the museum.  I think I had been a bit overhwlmed at this point and honestly, cold and wet.  It was really loud in the museum and not particularly helped by all the school children.  

I hope the next time I am in Tokyo I have a chance to go again on fresh, dry legs.

Time in museum: 1 hr
Times visited: 1
Overall: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library