Tokyo National Museum

While I was in Tokyo, I wanted to hit the top museums, but at the same time, realized I did not have a ton of a time available.  Going to the Tokyo National Museum was a natural, easy decision.

The museum is at the northern end of Ueno Park, which has a number of Tokyo's museums, similar to Berlin's museum island or even how Madrid has a number museums centered around the Prado.  

The Tokyo National Museum is a museum compound of different museums.  I focused on the Honkan museum, which has the Japanese collection.  I also went into the Heiseikan collection.

The Honkan had a wonderful brochure that pointed out the highlights in the collection.  I also really liked the stamps on the exhibit descriptions about "important cultural item"  This museum really had everything you would htink of when considering traditional Japanese items of cultural importance.  

Based on my visit to the DIA to visit their Samurai exhibit, I have been really interested in the cultural significance of the Samurai.  The armour they have in Japan is beautiful.  It is so elaborate and well preserved.  





 The museum also had some beautiful kimonos showing different techniques 




They also exquisite examples of letter press, woodprint and paintings. The museum does not allow a ton of photographs of them, but I took a few where I could.  This painting was an example of satire. The level of detail and color was fantastic.  The planning required to execute these correctly is hard to imagine.




These statues were also beautiful.  





If you have one day in Tokyo, you need to go to this museum.  It is just a wonderful curated and edited collection.  It has the full breadth of art you would expect and was easy to navigate.

Time in museum: 2.5 hrs
Times visited: 1
Overall: A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

lower east side tenement museum

Morgan Library