Churchill War Rooms

After seeing the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, we had an impromptu "let's check this out" at the Churchill War Rooms.  We ended up spending over 2 1/2 hrs in the war rooms.  I even ran into a set of college friends in there!  We ran into them later in the tube.  Here is a picture of us!


We were amazed at the depth and size of the museum.  I had no idea.  I/we really did not know much about Winston Churchill going into the office.  The war rooms is actually where Churchill ran the British WWII as well as additional museum space.  The additional museum exhibit was all about Churchill's background including his childhood and early political background.  I had not realized his background in politics and journalism.  It was amazing how the small and crowded and claustrophobic it would have been down there for hours/days on end, particularly with all the cigar smoke!  I was also stunned that it was never discovered or infiltrated during the war.  

We literally had to rush through it as we realized we were less than half way through and it had been over two hours!  

I cannot believe I had never gone to the museum before.  It was a great visit!

Times visited: 1
Time in museum: 2.5 hrs
Overall: A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cincinnati Art Museum

Morgan Library

lower east side tenement museum